Monday, November 9, 2009

Saturday December 6, 1941

It's absolutely crazy to think of how long I have been away from home but while I miss Dallas with all of my heart, being a nurse here in Honolulu has been the experience of my lifetime. The "Uncle Sam Needs Nurses" program has given me both of the things I've wanted since the day I joined the Army Nurse Corps- travel and excitement. I have had the chance to enjoy all that Honolulu has to offer. The weather is always beautiful- even in December, there is sun and clear skies. The other nurses and I often times go to the beach on our days off. It's nice to have some girlfriends to help to pass the often uneventful days here.


I am stationed at Schofield Hospital at Pearl Harbor and often times I am assigned to the orthopedic ward. December is football season here in Honolulu and I usually treat soldiers who have been hurt from sports injuries and other minor accidents. It isn't anything too intense but I do enjoy it. Often times, it's easy to forget that we are even stationed at a naval base. The soldiers are all just normal guys in uniforms and all of us nurses are doing the same tasks we did at our hospitals back on the mainland.



One of the perks of being a nurse here in Honolulu is the opportunity to meet so many nice men!
There is a ratio of 20 male officers to every nurse. Tonight, I went to the Pearl Harbor Club with Lt. Barney Benning. It was a delightful evening full of music and dancing. All of our friends were there and we had a absolutely swell time. Barne y is certainly a gentleman- he drove me back to my quarters tonight and we made plans to go Waikiki tomorrow after my shift is over.

It is getting late. More tomorrow!




Yours truly,
Pam Bradbury

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting entry. It just amazes me that military leave hadn't been completely cancelled, as war was so obviously imminent.

    ReplyDelete